Friday, September 11, 2009

remembering today...


eight years ago today i was a senior in college, i'd just come back in to my apartment from walking my dog and turned on the today show just as matt lauer had announced a plane crashed into the building where my father worked. panicked i called his office, his voicemail picking up only. then i called his cell phone, no answer either. so i called my mom, who had just heard the news as well. a flurry of phone calls and tears is what i remember most about that day. my friends came over to be with me while we waited to hear the fate of my father.

we didn't hear from him until later that evening, he was safe. he was just about to enter his building, one world trade (although they kept calling it the north & south tower which meant nothing to me at the time), when the plane hit his building. he, like so many others watched another plane hit and people jumping from the buildings...something that still gives him nightmares. he ran what must have seemed like a million blocks to grand central station in his suit & tie after he saw one of the buildings being to sway, only to be stuck on an outbound train that was stopped for security reasons.

we were blessed that day not to have lost my father, but others were not so fortunate. our friend, scott rohner, being one of them. my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family, and so many other families today. i certainly will never forget this day, eight years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment