Monday, March 28, 2011
anything fried is a friend of mine...
the boyfriend and i had blackstrap bbq last night, a great bbq joint in winthrop owned & operated by a few old restaurant industry friends of mine. aside from the fact that i love all things southern, food included, i just had to give a shout out to the most amazing fried pickles i've ever had in my life. think of a marriage between your favorite dill pickle and the crispy fried chicken coating...yummm.
i found this recipe i might try myself one day...
1 pint sliced dill pickles, undrained
1 large egg, beaten lightly
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour AND 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
2 teaspoons ground red pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1. drain pickles, reserving 2/3 cups pickle juice. press pickles between paper towels
2. combine 2/3 cups pickle juice, egg, 1 tablespoon flour and hot sauce. stir well and set aside
3. combine 1 1/2 cups flour with ground red pepper, garlic powder, salt and paprika
4. dip pickles in egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture
5. fry coated pickles in 375 degree oil until golden brown. drain on paper towel.
6. serve with ranch dressing, of course!