i did make a few substitutions to work with what i already had...i used turkey sausage instead of chicken sausage, shredded mozzarella instead of provolone and mixed it all in rather than just on top, and i sliced up fresh mozzarella and layered it across the top instead...delish!
chicken sausage penne bake
- 1 pound uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package sweet basil and pine nut chicken sausage (such as Gerhard's), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, sausage, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add tomato paste and next 5 ingredients (through diced tomatoes); cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
Combine pasta and tomato mixture; spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.