Monday, December 7, 2009

i need to vent...

today was not my most stellar day at work...



i understand that i work in a field/position not traditionally held by woman, and that's part of the reason i love this job. it's also part of the reason i'm frustrated by this job. not everyone thinks a woman is capable of working in the construction field, and i experienced this my first year working here with the subcontractors who didn't feel the need to call me back or take the time to explain things to me. we've gotten over that, and it's because of these same guys who didn't used to give me the time of day that i have learned leaps & bounds about construction in the last 5 years...


today potential clients did not have the faith that i could run their job effectively as project manager, and it may have cost my company from getting the job. it's not totally their fault, i've not worked with their architect before so he couldn't fully support me either. that made me angry though, understandably, because i have worked very hard to learn this industry. and they don't know what an organized, thoughtful, creative, easy to work with person i am, they didn't even give me the chance. but it also made me feel embarrassed in front of my boss who was at this meeting who may now potentially wondering if i can do this job too...


i'm also dealing with clients who are incredibly rude, have no regard for my time, and who expect so much but for half the cost. it's degrading dealing with these people some times. i want to scream "who do you think you are? you're not better than me!" all of the time. i even went as far today to say to a client who wanted us to do something for free "we're in the construction business, not the charity business", that's how annoyed i was with this person. not the smartest thing to say i'll admit, but it felt good to finally say what i've been feeling.

i know tomorrow will be a better day, and i'll have better clients, and someday people will be dying to have me work on their projects. tomorrow is another day.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like it was one of those days. Recipe? Hot shower or bath and a BIG glass of wine....and of course snuggling with the poochies! Tomorrow will be better!!

    ReplyDelete