Thursday, March 19, 2009

art for an ametuer collector...

i've always been a "creative" person. my earliest memories are of my sister and i sitting at the coffee table in my Nanna's house coloring her and my Aunt Doris picture after picture, to which they always acted as though each drawing was a masterpiece (and saved almost all of our crayon creations). my appreciation for art continued through high school and i went on to major in art history during my undergraduate years at Hobart & William Smith Colleges, although i always envied the fine arts students, and then on to earn my graduate degree in interior design from NESAD.

my mother has always collected art in her travels (many of which i've already laid claim to over my sister) and has passed that trait down to me. on our annual mother/daughter trips we always make sure we scout out the local galleries to see what unique goodies we can bring home to adorn our walls with. a few years ago i started my very own art collection, i bought my first two large scale paintings from a fellow NESAD fine art student (and a great price too!) and still love them to this day. when buying art i've always followed the one piece of advice my mother gave me about collecting, "only buy a piece that you really, really love and not a piece that someone tells you you should love, you're the one who has to live with it on your walls day in and day out." no matter what the cost, make sure your purchase makes you smile when you look at it.


my last two purchases were from a wonderful little gallery in Nashville, right near my parents house, Local Color Gallery. on the morning of superbowl sunday they have their big sale (it's the one day a year when the men want their wives out of the house so they can watch the big game in peace, brilliant idea!), and on such a morning i acquired two pieces by Kay Flierl.






i'm currently in love with her series 3 work entitled butterfly effect...beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment